Tuesday 15 September 2015

Day 2 in Vancouver: Grouse Mountain.

From the Capilano suspension bridge I caught a local service bus to the base of Grouse Mountain. Now as I previously mentioned I am no great fan of heights, but fuelled by my earlier crossing of the Capilano suspension bridge I opted for the ultimate ticket. This includes everything that you might want to do on the mountain and cost about the equivalent of £28.
The Grouse Mountain cable car

            To get up to the peak of Vancouver as it is advertised you have to enter a large Swiss cable car. These are huge and pack in a fair number of people. On the way up you get a great view of the city and the surrounding coastal mountains, just be aware of the two jolts as you pass over the supports as it can be a little unnerving.  On arrival at the top there is a large alpine area with seating, beware of the sprinklers if you are there in summer as well as a restaurant, gift shop and a cinema that shows films relating to the mountain. I opted not to watch any of the films instead taking the path up to where the Birds of Prey display was being held and past the Bear habitat.

Now I watched the bird of prey display that has a stunning backdrop of a snow capped mountain and the city below. I had quite a close encounter with one bird in particular, the Turkey Vulture who for a brief moment seemed to think I was the landing post he was aiming for. 

Judge Dredd was little too friendly.
The people running the show were very knowledgeable and entertaining and allowed people at the end to ask questions about the birds.
 I will now borrow from my review of Grouse Mountain on tripadvisor in regards to the Lumber Jack Show, as I don’t wish to spoil it by giving too much away. “I didn't think I would enjoy it, but the way it is staged, the audience participation and the skills they show off is wonderful. You learn about the way lumberjack work and also it gets you involved as an audience member. I particularly liked the log rolling part of the show and the whole thing is entertaining and worth making time for.” I was advised to watch the show by none other than the local bus driver who dropped me off, who insisted it was the best part of the experience.


Taking a chairlift up to the next level allows you access to the zip line experience (an additional charge applies). Although it looks thrilling it isn’t really my thing so I continued to the newest attraction, ‘The eye of the Wind’. Standing at 58m tall and supplying 25% of the resorts energy needs it is quite something. Getting up to the glass viewing pod hat offers 360-degree views is via an internal lift. At the top friendly members of staff who are on hand to give you facts as well as to reassure you especially if you encounter some of the glass floor panels greet you.


Heading back down I choose to take a final look at the Bear refuge where earlier I had seen no sign of its residents Grinder and Coola. This time I was in luck and they were out and about wandering around and seemingly posing for photos. Knowing these two Bears who were found as orphans are receiving great care is wonderful. On site was one of the gentlemen who cares for them and he was happy to speak to people about their stories and how they are looked after, including explaining about hibernation to some of the children present. There is also a Wolf at Grouse Mountain, the area in which it lives is at the base of the mountain and so I didn’t know this until I returned back to the hotel. 

         The ride back down was full of people who had just completed the Grouse Grind for the evening, which is an alternative way of reaching the peak if you are feeling active and adventurous. It was getting quite late at this point and I couldn’t work out which bus would take me back to Downtown. Instead I went on a little adventure catching a local bus to the quay and then jumping on board the Sea bus or ferry to take me back across the water. This was a smooth sailing and allowed for a great view of the city as the sun begun to go down. So concluded my second day in this stunning city and I couldn’t wait for my next day of adventures.


If you have any questions regarding my trip to Vancouver please leave a comment I will happily get back to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment