Saturday 12 September 2015

Day 2 In Vancouver : Capilano Bridge.



My day started with a walk down Robson Street. I passed the art gallery and outside the intriguing Gum Head by artist Douglas Coupland, where a model of the artists’ head had been placed out for people to add their used chewing gum to. 
With a quick detour into the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory as my eye was caught by the amazing toffee apples they had on show I was able to make my way down to the harbour side. 

These were pretty difficult to resist.



My goal being to pick up the free shuttle bus that runs to the Capilano suspension bridge in North Vancouver.


To reach the Capilano suspension bridge you have to drive over the Lionsgate Bridge that I have mentioned previously in Day 1 of my Vancouver Diary. The drive was pleasant and as the weather was good there was a nice view whilst crossing the bridge. The bus drops you in the car park for the bridge. Now since I arrived back home I have heard that there is an equivalent to the Capilano Bridge at Lynn canyon, which is worth a visit and is also I believe, free. However it may require a car to access and not having one of these I opted for the Capilano.

My first stop was the Cliffside walkway that sweeps out into a curve over the canyon below. You head onto it via a Cliffside wooden walkway in single file. I went when it wasn’t too busy but later on they had people only allowing so many people on at a time. I guess it is to keep queues down, as people do like to stop to take photographs along the way. Then it is back up via wooden staircases with a stop off point where if you choose to you can step onto a metal grid above the canyon.  The Cliffside walk is on the side of the canyon as you enter the Capilano area and sits alongside the gift shop and a small forest walk where you are able to locate some totem or story poles.

Next stop the bridge, now this was the bit I was most nervous about, as I’m not a great lover of heights. The current bridge is 140m long and 70 metres or about 218ft above the canyon below. It is accessed by a set of stairs and to begin with seems ok. It is only once you are on it you get the full experience of the swing that comes from people walking along. It’s actually quite exhilarating and luckily enough there is a cafĂ© to grab a drink and a bite to calm the nerves on the other side. It should be noted before going across the bridge that the only way back is to cross back over. The bridge seems to be the busiest part of the park, as I didn’t seem to notice the number of people elsewhere. 

How old I would be if I were a Douglas Fir
The other activities I took part in were the lovely peaceful woodland walk, which has signs suggesting to engage with the natural world and how to safeguard the environment. There are also sections of trees with the growth for each year on them. I quite enjoyed working out how tall I was compared to a 9 year old fir tree for example. Also included on this side of the canyon are a peaceful pond and a small selection of birds of prey.


Finally I took the treetop walk. Changing your perspective and getting up amongst the branches of the huge trees that cover the cliff faces that make up the canyon is wonderful. Suddenly you feel transported away from the hustle and bustle of other tourists in the area and lost in your own world. Unlike some tree top adventures I have encountered, the access was via wooden steps, so no hauling yourself up rope ladders was involved, making for a very pleasurable walk amongst these giants.
            Of course no trip to a tourist attraction is complete without a quick look around the gift shop. This one is quite large and there seemed to be a live music performance outside. The shop was well stocked with all manner of usual Canadian gifts but they also had their own branded items. I particularly liked the ‘I survived’ shirts available almost making it seem as if some people don’t.


Next up on my adventures to North Vancouver is Grouse Mountain, that’ll be up in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment