Friday 18 September 2015

3 Days in Vancouver: Final Day.


My Third and final Day in the wonderful city of Vancouver was a much more relaxed affair than those that came before it. Therefore it started with a slush puppy from a local supermarket with a mix of cherry, blue raspberry and cream soda, before walking down towards False Creek to grab the Aquabus over to Granville Island to take in the markets. The Aquabus is the name of a small collection boats with brightly coloured signs that dart across the creek. They take a small fee and you are able to take your bike across with you, should you have one. 

The markets are vibrant with a huge food market selling everything from seafood to cakes. It seemed very popular with people sitting at wooden tables eating items served up by small counters. I also visited an old style caravan that had a pet shop inside and the children’s market full of toys and books. From here I thought I would walk to Kitsilano beach. Kit’s beach is one of the most popular with locals from the city and didn’t look too far. I however got lost and ended up walking much too far, it did mean I got a good view of the cargo ships out in the bay however.

Kit's beach is a sandy beach with a front that includes places to eat and changing areas, I also recall kayaks for rental as well as sport pitches. There is also a public pool here. I opted to take a swim in the sea, which was refreshing on such a hot summer’s day. The water is very clean although a lot of sand gets churned up and there is quite a bit of seaweed in certain spots. I left my bag and towel on the beach and it wasn’t disturbed when I returned from the water. From the sea you get a nice view of some of the city buildings and the north shore. 



Following the coastal path (an extension to the sea wall I think) I worked my round to a point where I could catch another ferry back across the creek to continue with my day. Back on the other side it was more walking, past some surprisingly tropical palm trees and manicured gardens. Along the way I took in the Inukshuk that stands guard over the city. My destination was Second beach where again I went for a dip in the refreshing water before taking a swim in the public open-air swimming pool. I think this is a great idea for families who want to experience the beach but may not feel comfortable with children swimming in open water. 


By the time I left it was beginning to stretch into evening; I opted to wander back via Lost Lagoon a beautiful body of water in Stanley Park.

 As I was walking through admiring the beauty of the spot I encountered a little bag thief. Now he wasn’t much trouble this thief. Turned out to be a friendly Raccoon who was looking to see if I had any food. I finished my walk at Canada Place and watched the sun set on my three days in Vancouver. As I made my way back to the hotel I thought about what a wonderful three days it has been and how much I had managed to pack into my city adventure.





No comments:

Post a Comment